I love spring cleaning. It's a great time to get everything freshened up from the dreary winter days! I used to help my mom spring clean all the time and she used to really go at it. That's probably where I get my habits from but I thought I might compile a good list of tips to get rid of the winter feel and bring in spring! I typically like to spend two full days and just pound it out! Crank up the music, throw the phone on silent and get my gloves and supplies ready to rock.
There's nothing quite like opening your windows and letting the fresh air in so here's a few things to keep in mind.
1. If you have more than one person in the house, split up the tasks and they will go a lot faster.
2. Wash all the windows and windowsills, open them up and let the FRESH air in. This will help get the stale air out and make everything feel shiny and new.
3. Instead of using paper towels, use newspapers to wash the windows, mirrors, anything with glass. I have no idea why but newspaper makes glass so much shinier.
4. Go through the house and get rid of anything you don't use anymore. If you haven't touched it in the past 6 to 9 months, it's time to reconsider whether you really need it taking up space. Recycle or donate to Goodwill! For nicer things (like good coats or name brand clothing), take it to a resale shop. That way, you're still getting something for it but you don't have to worry about trying to sell it.
5. Don't let the couches go untouched. Take out the couch cushions and vacuum in those creases. Make sure to pat out the couch cushions and wash the couch covers if you have them.
6. I pile in the winter. I seem to have piles laying everywhere. This is the perfect time to invest in a few lovely baskets or bins (there are some terrific ones at Target) and organize your piles. It will look so much nicer and much less cluttered.
7. When all is said and done, pick up some pretty fresh flowers. It will complete the clean look of your house and will make everything smell terrific. Not to mention putting a smile on your face when you walk in the house everyday!
Sorry for the lack of pictures! I sent this from my I-Pad so pictures weren't possible this time around.